Re: Defining a document's starting page number

> What is the interaction between the 1st page number field in the
> Numbering Properties dialog box (displayed by selecting
> Format->Document->Numbering from a document window) and the Page
> Numbering popup menu in the Setup File dialog box (displayed by
> selecting File->Setup File from the book window). I'm assuming here that
> a given document is also part of a book.
>
> It appears that there are two different ways to indicate the starting
> page number for a document in a book.

The Numbering Properties dialog reflects the current starting page
number of the document, regardless of how and when it was set.

You can change the page number there explixitly, or use the Setup File
dialog to decide how the page numbering will change in the document
when the book is updated. If you choose "Read from file", the page
numbering won't change, but otherwise it may very well do so.
If a book update changes the starting page number of a document,
that change is reflected in the Numbering Properties dialog.
If you want a "non-standard" page numbering scheme, say starting at
100 or suddenly jumping to 1000, then you need to set the starting
page number in the Numbering Properties dialog for that file, and
then select "Read from file" in the Setup File dialog.

So, you may manually change the starting page number using the
Numbering Properties dialog, but it will be overridden and overwritten
by a book update, *unless* you use "Read from file" for that file.
Remember, the page number of a document is only stored in the
document itself, not in the book file.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers