Re: Defining a document's starting page number

>What is the interaction between the 1st page number field in the
>Numbering Properties dialog box (displayed by selecting
>Format->Document->Numbering from a document window) and the Page
>Numbering popup menu in the Setup File dialog box (displayed by
>selecting File->Setup File from the book window). I'm assuming here that
>a given document is also part of a book.
>
>It appears that there are two different ways to indicate the starting
>page number for a document in a book.

Ezra, If the file setup for the book is "Read from file" then you can hardcode a number in the Format->Document->Numbering window and it will be used. If the file setup is restart at 1, then it restarts the numbering and anything you coded in the Format->Document->Numbering window is overwritten with the number based on the setup in thebook. Similarly if it's "continue", then the numbering will continue and any starting page number typed into Format->Document->Numbering window will be overwritten with the correct number in the sequence. So having the setup as "Read from file" is the only way to get a hard coded page number to stick in Format->Document->Numbering.

- web