Re: Problem with Czech special character

Dear Milan,

There are a couple of workarounds I have heard about people using. Each of
which have certain problems associated with them though.

1. Use a custom font that has t caron mapped somewhere other than the 0157
position.
The problem with this workaround is you may need to get a custom font made,
and you have to be careful if the documentation is printed that the
commercial printers service bureau are aware that a special font has been
used, plus there are all the copyright issues associated with modifying
existing fonts.

2. A second possible workaround I heard about but haven't used (so can't
say how useful it is) is a patch that AMOS software in the Czech Republic
produces. Their contact details are on their website at
http://www.amsoft.cz and you would need to research if it has any problems
associated with using it, caveat emptor as the saying goes.

You would need to consider how these workarounds fit into your translation
workflow, either of them might introduce problems since it involves
remapping characters.

FrameMaker 6 still has the problem with the t caron character (and also the
capital Z acute (ALT+0143) character), as far as I can see it uses the same
internal ANSI to FrameMaker code page mapping that FrameMaker 5.5.6 does,
there is a useful online manual in the Frame 5.5.6 Help menu called
FrameMaker Character Sets which shows what goes where.

Hope this helps a bit,

Christopher.