Re: Adding Catalog Buttons

At 01:31 PM 4/5/00 -0700, Pamela Denchfield wrote:
>---------------Snip---------------
>> >I finally got FrameMaker!  ...I borrowed Classroom in a Book and
>am using that to learn the tool.
>> >
>> > Classroom in a Book assumes that there are buttons for Character
>Catalog and Paragraph Catalog in the upper
>right hand corner of the screen.  But when I look at the Frame window,
>all I see is buttons for Element Catalog,
>Attributes Editor, Structure View, Tools Palette and Equations Palette.
>I'm trying to add Character Catalog and
>Paragraph Catalog buttons to the others in the upper right hand corner
>of the screen.
>> >
>> > Boeing also only ordered the Frame Maker CD (and, of course, the
>license) so I have no paper documentation.
>None!  So I tried using Help but I can't find any instructions on how to
>add those buttons.
In FM+SGML, they buttons aren't there for a reason, and there's no way to
get them back. The two catalogs are still accessible via the Format menu.
But, for structured documents done to an EDD that has complete format rules,
you often don't want authors to have access to the paragraph and character
catalogs or the paragraph and character designers, since the availability of
these capabilities would permit authors to apply abominable format overrides
to the formatting specified in the EDD. Denying authors these capabilities
can be done by customizing the Format menu to eliminate all the formatting
options you don't want authors to have. Since there's no way to customize
FM+SGML so as to remove those catalog buttons, they've been removed so it
becomes possible to remove access to these catalogs by customizing the
Format menu.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646