controlling hyphenation

I am trying to control the hyphenation in my document so that name of the
product is not hyphenated.  The instructions in the user manual seemed very
simple.  I opened the spelling checker entered the word with a hypen before
it in the correction text box and clicked learn.  I then rehyphenated the
document.   I keep getting this message that there is no word in the in the
Word text box, but this text box is ghosted and the UM says to put the word
in the correction text box.
Once, during the many times I tried this, I got a message telling me to open
the Options dialog box and choose the appropriate Find option. I didn't know
what they meant by that so I tried the one having to do with hyphenation
(Find unusual hyphenation).  I still got the "no word in the Word text box"
message.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks.