Non-breaking space in cross-reference (cross-posted)

I have searched the archives, but can't seem to come up with an answer
to this one. Is it possible to include a non-breaking space in a
cross-reference format? Typing it the usual way (Esc space h) just gets
you out of the format box. Copying a non-breaking space from body text
and pasting it in the format dialog box just inserts a regular space.
I'm afraid the answer to this one is just plain "no" but I thought I'd
ask.