Discontinuous footnotes

I've lived with this problem long enough to ask for help. HELP!!

I'm combining multiple files into a book and wanting chapter numbering and
footnoting to continue in normal sequence throughout. Works fine for chapter
numbers, but not for footnotes. Those start from 1 again at the beginning of
each file. It might be a minor irritation, but my files contain several
chapters each, so there is no logic to footnotes starting at 1 at the
beginning of some chapters and continuing in sequence at the beginning of
other chapters.

Anyone seen this before? I set paragraph numbering to "Continue" for all but
the first chapter in the Set Up File options for the book. The Restart
Paragraph Numbering option in Numbering Properties is unchecked for the
noncooperating files. Is this just something Frame isn't designed to do?

I'm working on a Power Mac, OS 8.1 with Frame 5.5.6.

~ Bill
Bill Fetzner, Technical Writer
Electronics Theatre Controls, Inc.
Madison, Wisconsin