Re: Automatic Placement of a Sidehead Column Graphic's Anchor in Main Column Text

At 11:46 AM 3/27/00 -0500, David  Artman wrote:
>Odd problem for me, Framers; little help?
>
>THE SETUP:
>	I have documents that have a Main Column and a Sidehead Column.
>	There are paragraphs in these documents with the ¶ tag of "alert"
>that use auto-numbering to automatically insert the (bolded) word "Caution"
>at the beginning of them.
>	I have a graphic (made up of several dingbats, if it matters) that I
>would like to automatically be placed to the immediate left of the start of
>an "alert" paragraph, in the Sidehead Column.

Here's how I do it.

I assume that the Alert paragraph tag (with Caution in the autonumber) you
describe above is set to appear in the Main (i.e., normal) text column.

1. Create a pagragraph tag named IconSpacer that appears in the normal text
column. In the Next Para Tag slot of the paragraph designer, specify the
Alert paragraph tag you described above.

2. On a reference page, create a reference frame whose width is the same
as the width of the sidehead column.  Name the reference frame. Make the
height of the text frame slightly larger than the height of the graphic
icon. If you use background shading/color of the text area in your master
pages, use the same shading/color used on the master pages so there is no
mismatch between the reference frame and the background.

3. Insert the graphic icon at the right edge of the reference frame created
in step 2, with the top edge of the graphic virtually coincident with the
top edge of the reference frame.

4. Create a paragraph tag named CautionIcon that has a sidehead only
alignment. Specify the reference frame named in step 2 as the Frame Below
for this paragraph. Also, in the Next Para Tag slot of the paragraph
designer, specify the IconSpacer paragraph created in Step 1.

5. Now, to create the caution (both the icon and the text), you insert the
CautionIcon paragraph (step 4 above), and hit Enter twice, so that the empty
CautionIcon paragraph is followed by the empty IconSpacer paragraph, which
is followed by the Alert paragraph (both of the latter appear in the normal
text column). Finally, to complete the design, update the Space Below and
Line Spacing parameters of the IconSpacer tag so that the first line of the
caution paragraph in the normal text column is aligned with the top edge of
the graphic icon in the sidehead column.

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646