Re: List of Figures / autonumbering

See notes below...

Jay

Ann Farr wrote:

> In this academic book I'm setting up there are loads of graphics of
> all sorts of sizes. Until I have printed the first draft of the book
> and sent it to the editor for his comments, I don't really know what
> size these graphics should be. So I'm setting it up as I think fit...
> (a) Import graphics
> (b) Resize graphic inside anchored frame

(b) Is NOT generally a good idea.  Some/most types of graphics will come
out as mush when you do this.  Also, depending upon your method of
output distribution, you may end up with more file size than necessary
-- when you resize this way, all of the file size is present, it is just
scaled down.

Instead, size a COPY of the graphic (i.e. save the original under
different name and don't trash it) to what you want.

> (c) Resize anchored frame and edit where it appears on the page

(c-1) If you do as I suggested, then when you REIMPORT the smaller
graphic, the frame will size itself.  This step is eliminated.

(c-2) Since you are working on ONLY the first (of many?) drafts and
because you are not the person with final approval, I would not waste a
MOMENT "editing where it appears".  I would just let them flow however
they like until the second-to-last proof.

> (d) Enlarge anchored frame and draw a text box/frame

(d) Per your question #1 below, you are correct that you CANNOT get
autonumbernig to work by making these as you have done (by drawing
inside and anchored frame.

IMHO, What you want to do is to make a TABLE.  The table has two rows
and six three columns.  Make such a table in a Template document; you
can copy/paste it out of there as you need it.  (There is also a neat
plug-in from the Northern Plains -- forgot his name -- that can handle
this copy/paste bit.)  In the top row, join the three columns into one.
In the bottom row, size the three columns with equal amounts on the left
and right and with the center being the desired width for your captions.

Then make para tags for the:
  TableAnchor  (big now, but you will make it 2pt later)
  GraphicAnchor  (this is in the top row)
  PlaceHolder  (this is the left & right of the bottom row;
      you want an explicit tag so that YOU control things like
      what font it is not using)
  Caption  (this is in the center of the bottom row)

You probably want two Caption para tags: centered & left or justified.
Use the centered when the caption is just one line, the others if more
than one line.

If you set all of this up in your Template, then when you copy the thing
into your working document, you are 100% ready to go.

> (e) Type in text (Figure n: description)
>
> Questions:
> 1. I understand about paragraph formats but have been unable to
> autonumber the text boxes at (d) above... because they're sort of
> disconnected this can't be done?

See above.

> 2. How then, do you enter autonumbered Figure numbers and descriptions?

See above.

> 3. Do they have to be in Flow A (so to speak)? If so, when the
> graphics get resized and/or moved, how do the Figure descriptions
> move with them?

See above.

> Is this a silly question? I've been working all weekend and feel as
> if I'm about to crash!!!

***NO*** THIS WAS NOT A SILLY QUESTION.  FM 5.x is really stupid about
this stuff.  There are several good and valid reasons why numbering
can't generally go from anchored frame to anchored frame, HOWEVER, an FM
feature could be easily created to make the functionality that you, I,
and everyone else needs.

> Thanks for your time.

No Problem.  HOWEVER, one more suggestion:  IF you use the table
approach that I have outlined, I suggest that you contact Rick Quatro
mailto:frameexpert@mindspring.com .  Rick made some scripts for me that
do table navigation FROM THE KEYBOARD WITH SINGLE KEYSTROKES!!! (into
tables, out of tables, and around in tables).  If you do anything at all
with tables, Rick's stuff will be worth whatever he charges for it.

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates