Re: Printing PS on Windows: Optimize for speed or portability?

You are hereby enlightened (I hope):

ANSWERS:

(1) In most circumstances, the "extra" information (i.e., redundant
PostScript) is distilled away. The name "Distiller" was taken from
the fact that this software takes the PostScript stream and retains
only the essence of it in terms of the actual imaged objects, not
all the rattletrap of the PostScript used to get there. Obviously,
the distilling process might take longer, though.

(2) Absolutely NOT! PDF is PDF per above. The extra stuff is gone.

(3) The "portability" mode attempts to make the PostScript as
page independent as possible. Font definitions are repeated on each
page, etc. Certain driver optimizations are turned off which has the
side effect of fixing some bad interactions between some applications
that partly generate their own PostScript and the driver itself
(i.e., it covers over both some application and driver bugs!).
FrameMaker 5.5.6 with current AdobePS versions generally doesn't
exhibit this type of problem as much as earlier versions of FrameMaker
did with earlier driver versions. We have seen some rare circumstances
in which FrameMaker 5.5.6 documents with EPS graphics that reference
fonts work only with "portability" and not with "speed".

(4) Generally speaking, with current FrameMaker and driver versions
with Windows'9x, "optimize for speed" is the recommended setting.

         - Dov