Printing PS on Windows: Optimize for speed or portability?

We're undergoing exhaustive testing to maximize our Distiller job
options and printer driver settings for upgrading to the current
technology. Can someone please explain what the history, current
development, and true importance of this setting is? Dov, what do you
recommend?

Frame 5.5.6 on W95/8
AdobePS 4.3.1
Distiller 4.05a

I kind of know the answer to this already, but I want more information
to assuage an internal debate. During the debate, we've ended up
wrestling between speed and portability.

I've looked in the Adobe support documents and found that the different
settings essentially break down to this:

Speed-
builds PS for device only (Distiller in this case)
PS files written faster
PS files usually smaller
with earlier 4.2.x drivers, would bomb out in Distiller
recommended for current printer drivers by renown experts

Portability-
builds page oriented PS for multiple devices
recommended for sophisticated scooters with advanced printer settings
PS files written slower
PS files quite larger
has proven track record

QUESTIONS:
1. What happens to the extra information when the portability setting
is used and a PS file is distilled to PDF?

2. Is there any way an imagesetter could benefit from having PS written
with the portability setting if that imagesetter is using the PDF file
for the RIP software?

3. What are the real differences between PS developed one way vs. the
other?

4. Which is recommended and why?

Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject.

Jason Aiken
The weary Templar