Re: FM and WWP suggestions re: Upgrading

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:12:59 -0500, "Bernard Aschwanden" <bpa@front-runner.com> wrote:

>As soon as version 6 is officially released we will have wwp upgrade pricing
>info. Right now it looks like you will be able to get the upgrade (full
>version) for under US$400. Considering that mif2go is 300, for an extra 100
>you get four types of help output, xml, html and more.

Well, you are a WWP reseller, and we're the authors of Mif2Go, so neither of
us are exactly unbiased here... but at least we should get the facts right!

You imply that Mif2Go does *not* offer many formats that WWP does include.
Mif2Go provides WinHelp RTF, generic HTML with and without CSS, DHTML, MS
HTML Help, and XHTML (and other XML) formats.  We're currently fine-tuning
the JavaHelp support, to work around some of its limitations in indexing.

The only format WWP offers that we don't is its own proprietary WebHelp.
OTOH, we offer printable RTF, for exemplary export to Word, WP, and any
other RTF-reading software, which WWP does not.

WWP also offers Asian language support in their International edition;
in fact, we *refer* those who need to use CJK to them for this... though
it is a lot more expensive than the Professional edition.

Finally, you understate the cost of WWP.  The *initial* price may be a
mere $100 more than ours... but we include unlimited free email support
for a year, for which Quadralay charges a lot more than that *initial*
price.  We also include free upgrades for that year; WWP doesn't.  And
then there's the time and money cost of training, not needed for Mif2Go.
Add it all up... we have to ask, why pay so much more for less?

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/