Re: Frame 5.5.6 and Frame 6.0 Compatibility Issues

At 11:12 AM 3/21/00 -0800, Lee Richardson wrote:
>At 10:56a -0500 3/21/00, Frank Rees wrote:
>-------------------------Snip
>>My concerns are, first, will our client have to upgrade the FrameViewer
app if >>we, as authors, decide to upgrade to Frame 6.0? Second, will we
have to >>purchase an upgrade to the Frame Retrieval Tools package (the
original cost >>about $5000)?

>The Frame Retrieval Tools package has been discontinued with the release of
>FrameMaker 6.0. We recommend a transition to PDF and Acrobat Catalog for
>setting up indexed groups of view-only documents.
Interesting. The poor guy has 2000 Frame documents that are viewed by his
clients equipped with FrameViewer. The Frame Retrieval Tools are used to
conduct searches.

Now, apparently without warning to those companies who purchased the
Retrieval Tools and distribute FrameViewer to their customers for viewing
and searching FrameMaker documents, Adobe discontinues Frame Retrieval Tools
in V6.0. Apparently the existing version of Retrieval Tools can't be used
with V6.0 to generate the catalog for FrameViewer. Then, to add insult to
injury, he recommends that the questioner should dump his investment in
FrameViewer and the Retrieval Tools, convert to Acrobat, and replace the
Retrieval Tools catalog with Acrobat Catalog, which of course is no longer
part of Frame 6.0.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646