Re: Frame 6.0 - Full version of Acrobat?

On 3/20/00, Dan Emory wrote:

>FrameMaker 6.0 is being fraudulantly promoted by Adobe and its minions,
>including some of those with a vested interest in WWP.

<snip>

>The same bait and switch tactic is being used with Acrobat. Adobe has up
>until now, promoted Acrobat 4.0 as a single software product with no
>separable subcomponents. Consequently, anyone reading the FM 6.0
>announcement would assume that the full Acrobat 4.0 product is being
>offerred as part of FM. So, you buy V6.0 and discover that it's not
>everything but only Distiller, which means you've got to shell out another
>$250 for a full Acrobat license, or another $100 for an upgrade from V3.0x
>to V4.0x.

This is not the first time. When FM 5 came out, the box said
something to the effect (hey, it's been years since I've seen the
box): "Create pdf documents." In fine print inside the box they said
something the effect: "Creates pdf _ready_ documents." I called them
on it in a review I did on FM 5 and I take personal credit for the
full acrobat appearing in 5.5. (Well, me and other reviewers who
called them on it.)

Gary Coyne
gcoyne@calstatela.edu