FM 5.5.6 XML export bug

1. I have a fully developed and debugged SGML application. The EDD/DTD are
compatible with XML as well as SGML.

2. I've also developed a special character palette for inserting special
characters (e.g., upper ASCII characters, characters requiring the symbol
font). clicking on a character in the palette sends a hypertext message to
the FmTranslator API (standard in FM+SGML) defining the ISO PUBLIC entity
name for the character being inserted. I've been using this palette for
several years to put special characters in structured documents. When these
docs are exported to SGML, the special characters are properly replaced by
entity references.

3. I'm using the same read/write rules for XML export as are used for SGML
import/export.

4. I open a test document using a template that has the EDD element catalog,
and create a valid document containing a couple of lines of ordinary text.
It exports successfully to XML.

5. I use the special character palette to add some special characters to the
ordinary text created in step 4, and attempt to export it to XML. A message
comes up stating there was an FmTranslator error, and FM+SGML then creashes.

6. I delete the special characters inserted in step 5, and replace them with
the identical special characters, except this time I do not use the special
character palette to create them (i.e. I use the applicable keystroke
sequence instead). I again attempt to export the document to XML, and this
time I'm successful. I open the XML doc in Word 2000, and verify that the
special characters were, in fact, exported from FM+SGML as the correct
Unicode characters.

CONCLUSION: There is a bug in FM 5.5.6 that, when exporting structured docs
to XML, fails to suppress the FmTranslator behavior that produces entity
references for special characters when exporting to SGML. As a result, the
(unsuppressed) FmTranslator action collides with the creation of the unicode
for the special characters, and FM+SGML crashes.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646