Re: Frame 6.0 - Full version of Acrobat?

At 11:24 AM 3/17/00 -0800, Dov Isaacs wrote:
>Yes.
>
>         - Dov
>

>At 3/17/00 11:14 AM, edunn@transport.bombardier.com wrote:
>

>>Is that to say you'll only get Distiller and you won't get Acrobat with FM 6?
So, If I interpret this correctly, with 6.0  we're getting WWP lite, which
isn't good enough for most users because it can't make templates, and to
compensate for this "bonus," Adobe is taking away Exhange, Capture,
Cataloger, and PDFWriter and only giving us Distiller.

Anyone who's first FrameMaker purchase is 6.0 who wants to get seriously
involved in generating and delivering HTML and PDF will have to go out and
buy a top-of-the-line WWP license plus a full Acrobat 4.0x license, the
combined cost of which will approximate or exceed the cost of the FrameMaker
license. Such a deal!

That means it would be cheaper to buy a new FrameMaker+SGML license ($600
more than Framemaker), and export Frame documents to XML using the built-in
(and far superior to WWP's) XML export capability for structurted documents,
which generates a CSS document derived from the EDD's format rules.
Consequently, users don't need the top-of-the-line WWP or the full Acrobat
license, and they can obtain (purchase or download a free one) an XML
browser to view the exported XML, using the CSS document to format them.

If this is what Adobe has done, then they've shot themselves in the foot
again, because they've just given a big boost to XML, at the expense of PDF.
Also, Quadralay will lose out, because FM+SGML users won't need WWP to
produce XML.

Now that I think about it, how do we know that Adobe is still going to offer
the XMXcss.dll plug-in that made it possible in V5.5.6 to produce the CSS
document as described above. Does XMLcss.dll come with FM+SGML V6.0?
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646