RE: PDF vs HTML

Thomas-

Well, being the wallflower that I am, I wasn't going to say anything ;-) Oh
well... here's my take on the situation...

It seems to me that most of the problems Dan mentions are really due to not
properly optimizing the content for onscreen presentation in a hyperlinked
environment. The very scenario put forth that users must "read thru" so much
text that their mind skips over sections can be solved by chunking your
information into *VERY* small pieces so that the reader only has to digest
about one screen worth of data. BTW, PDF is completely inappropriate for
doing this. PDF's strength is fidelity to the original printed page, not
modular data organization for hyperlinked presentation. PDF may support
hyperlinking, but the overall paradigm is still serial data throughput (aka,
a "book").

The real advantage to an online presentation is hyperlinking. This almost
completely eliminates the sort of "chicken/egg" dilemmas we often encounter
(I need to explain x before you can understand y, but you sort of need to
know about y in order to really understand x). Also, each person is free to
engage the material in a way that fits their personality (some start at the
beginning, others dive into the middle, some even begin at the end).
Finally, being able to exhaustively deal with topics and hyperlink to them
from anywhere is a great advantage - I almost never have to repeat
information in my online help projects. I can also move information aside
that would otherwise cloud the bigger picture. If it is required for a
deeper understanding by certain individuals, it is a click away.

I guess I don't feel that bad examples of good technology make strong
arguments for abandoning the technology altogether. No doubt, online help
has a long way to go. I guess I just see the glass as "half full."

As always, this my .02. Your mileage may vary.

Warmest Regards,
Michael L. Tatro
Documentation Manager
V-Systems, Inc.