Re: Adobe rolls out FM 6

Subject: Re: Adobe rolls out FM 6

> At 10:07 AM 3/14/00 -0800, Dov Isaacs wrote:
> >FrameMaker 6 remains a GDI application under Windows
> >(RGB composite color) and a QuickDraw application under MacOS.
> >CoolType is not used for any normal part of FrameMaker 6
> >operation.
> So, 6.0 does not implement Unicode, and CMYK to RGB conversions remain
> problematic?

O.K., I  am deciphered. Yes, Adobe understans Unicode through own engine,
called CoolType.
You can see CT Unicode's work with InDesign and GoLive 4 or with
WWord97-2000 PDF Writer for Acrobat 4.

Since FM is stilling GDI/QD/XWindow application all things and problems are
the same.

You can get valid Unicode outpout-input in FrameMaker 556 or (probably) 6 if
you will work with Japanese OS like NT.
 Western, Cyrillic, Greek and Japanese languages are covered by Shift-JIS
(in general).

I am sure you'll happy to have Cyrillic or Greek text with half or full
width since FM "combined" font works well for Western+Japanese langs only.
It is like work with Arabic in FM, yes, it is possible, but VERY
inconveniently

Dmitri.