RE: Anchored Frame, distance down from anchor

Hi,

Chiming in -- see the exchanges below for reference.

All of what Dan said is right, but I'd add this change to
his advice in point #3:

For Tables, yes, use an empty paragraph, below which hangs the
table itself. Tables are forced to hang below -- there's no
At Insertion Point option.

But for Figures, if you're willing to go to the trouble to create
a special paragraph to hold a graphic (I always do), then I'd
use At Insertion Point for the figure instead of the default,
and maintain Baseline Offset at 0 pt. (If you resize an anchored
frame by dragging from the bottom, you'll change Baseline Offset
and it will need to be reset.)

The logic:

Professional publications (mags, etc.) always control the space
around a figure element -- the space above the figure, the space
between the figure and the caption, and the space below the caption.
It just doesn't look "professional" to do otherwise. (Professional
looks may not matter in your pubs department, but if it does, this
is a solution.)

Why my method over Dan's? A small point -- the empty paragraph
above the figure means that a figure that starts a page is offset,
even if slightly, from the top of the column. At Insertion Point
corrects that.

Cheers,

Tom Neuburger

BTW, I always took "Nullius in Verba" to mean "Nothing in Writing",
a motto we violate daily. :)

Ages ago, Ananda Stevens wrote:

> >> You should never anchor an anchored frame or table to a paragraph
> >containing
> >> text.
> >
> ><*blink*>
> >Say what?