Re: Recurrent topics on the list

>Marcus Carr made some points about Dan Emory's email:
>
> >> 1. On a well-manged list, new subscribers should be required...
>
> >> 2. Those who ignore the start-up package and repeatedly request help on
> >> issues that are fully addressed in the FAQ should be warned by the list
> >> manager.
>
> >> 3. When a new recurring topic emerges that is not covered by the
>FAQ, a new
> >> item should be added to the FAQ and sent to all subscribers, instructing
> >> them to add the new item to the FAQ they received when they
>first subscribed
> >> to the list.
>
> >> 4. The willingness to build one's own archive is part of being a
>responsible
> >> list member...
>
>Like Marcus Carr, I think all of this sounds a bit heavy-handed. I think a
>much better solution is to send people a so called "start-up package" upon
>subscribing that includes the FAQ but which omits all the draconian language
>of "requirements", "instructions", "warnings", and "responsibility".

And I add my dollar 2.95 cents worth:

Does anyone here get a flash of deja vu?

Sounds like the beginning of what Dan and Brad had conflicted upon,
rules that Brad set up, rules that Dan thought were not appropriate.

I have been on lists like that. The level of communication is
strained at times, limited at times, and not particularly easy to use.

The newcomers tend to only lurk, often never participating during
their association with the list.

When lists with rules like this do work, the people involved often
have a professional connection that is reinforced with face to face
meetings, similar or identical work environments, etc. Access to the
rules and advice for participation is much easier to acquire on these
lists. If for no other reason than the newcomer has someone to sit
down with and learn how to interact and participate on the list.

Our culture is very diverse, our association with one another is
attenuated by the circumstances of our employment.

Besides who is going to enforce the rules? There is a lot of work to
moderate a list, shouldn't that be something decided upon by the
moderator?

Scott