Re: Pdfs and 5.1.2 driver

At 03:40 PM 3/3/00 -0600, Melanie Shook wrote:
>> DELETE THIS IF YOU'RE SICK OF PDF QUESTIONS.
>>
>> I have followed everyone's advice and installed the 5.1.2 printer driver
>> on my NT system, SP5. (FM5.5.6).  When I use it to create pdfs (print to
>> ps file, then distill), regardless of whether I choose print or screen
>> optimized, some things do not display correctly on screen unless at high
>> magnification (e.g. bullets look like gray boxes). I'm using Acrobat 4.05.
>>
>> I do not get this problem with my HP ps printer driver. Obviously, I will
>> continue to use my HP printer driver, since I get better quality.  But I'm
>> wondering why the "officially" advised drivers do not work as well as a
>> totally unrelated product. Have I perhaps done something wrong? I selected
>> 5.1.2 as the printer driver for distiller and the printer I print to, and
>> various combinations thereof - no difference in screen display. No big
>> problem, as my HP driver works...just wondering.
It has been stated over and over and over again on these lists that, to
produce trouble-free PDF from a postscript file, you MUST use the Distiller
PPD when printing to a postscript file from FrameMaker.

Doesn't this make sense? If you printed a FrameMaker file to a postscript
file that you later send to your HP printer, you'd have selected the HP
printer driver when you produced the postscript file wouldn't you? If,
instead, you used some other printer driver, you can expect anomalous
results when you sent that .ps file to the HP printer. The same applies when
you use a non-distiller PPD to produce the postscript for Distiller.

You are getting the AdobePS driver (e.g., 5.1.2) mixed up with a Postscript
Printer Driver (PPD) The AdobePS driver is used with a selected PPD to
produce postscript for a particular postscript printer. Think of Distiller
as just another printing device, because that's what it is. Regardless of
what version of Distiller or the AdobePs printer driver you are using, you
must, before printing to a postscript file, do the following on ANY windows
platform:

1. In FrameMaker choose File > Print Setup. In the Print Setup dialog choose
Distiller as the printer, click the Properties button to set up the
properties for the printing job, and click OK.

2. Now, in FrameMaker, you can choose File > Print, and print to a .ps file.

3. With Distiller set up with the proper job options, open the postscript
file produced in step 2, and distill it.

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646