Re: Customizing default formats [Dick Gaskill, where are you?]

Title: Re: Customizing default formats [Dick Gaskill, where are you?]

Folks:

Bob Perrey reports that, on Windows 95/98/NT,

there is a file in which you may make these changes, at
least to the default Paragraph Catalog [see below]. Assuming a Windows 95/98/NT
directory structure, look in .../FrameMaker5.5/Fminit/Custom.<no extension>
opened in FM. You will find a blank document with no frames, a single,
right Master Page, and the default Paragraph Catalog, which you can change
or alter. Be certain the file gets saved without an extension.
<<<<<

And Michael Mueller-Hillebrand adds that

all the information given below can be found in the "Customizing FrameMaker
Products" Online Manual.

The key to many features is the maker.ini file. There is an entry

CustumDoc=fminit\custom

and "custom" is a FrameMaker document in the <install_dir>\fminit
directory. You can either change that document or change the maker.ini
setting to point to another document.

The page size of your custom document is taken from those specified in

PageSizesFile=fminit\pagesize.cfg
<<<<<

You can change table, cross-reference, character, paragraph, and variables.
You have to add a temporary text frame to alter table formats and then delete it before changing the file.

I added shading to Format A, added a Strong character format, and renamed Body to b Body (that's my fast Control-9 shortcut for tags), altered See Heading & Page, and altered Running H/F 4 (needs temporary text frame on master page).

Okay, guys and gals, head for the Frame network server, open up that shared custom file and ... amaze your unsuspecting colleagues.

Thomas Neuburger suggested possible lines of enquiry for UNIX versions, now all we need is Dick Gaskill to tell us how to do it for Macintosh Frame.

[FrameMaker 5.5.6, Acrobat 3.02, Windows 98, HP OmniBook 2100]

Regards,
Hedley Finger   Technical Writer

Subscribe to the alternative framers: <mailto:majordomo@omsys.com?Subject=Subscribe%20to%20framers>; message must consist of only (no signature) --

     subscribe framers your@preferred.email.address
     help
     end

Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9301 6214   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9301 6199
Email. hedley.finger@ericsson.com.au

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9809 1326
Email. hfinger@handholding.com.au