Re: Postscript Level 1 requirements

Hello Lee,

LR> A quick question for this group: how many people still use PostScript Level 1 printers or imagesetters? This includes early Apple LaserWriters (LaserWriter, LaserWriter II NT/NTX), and probably
LR> other ps printers of the same generation.

LR> We're trying to figure out if we can drop direct support for ps level 1 in FrameMaker. Let me know if you think this is a big deal.

The problem of "PS Level clone" was created by Adobe.
We know that Adobe has hard opinion about a non-support for PS clone
problems.

Yet a huge lot of very popular and prevalent PS printers has PS level 2
emulation. For ex. all Lexmark, new series of HP etc.

In general this printers work fine as PS level 2 devices.
Yet for some causes we do need to use PS Level 1 with this printers.

Very popular GhostScript, Zenographic SuperPrint and ImageAlchemy PS
"soft PS printers" for Mac, Win and UNIX use
"PS Level 2 clone" with the same lot of problems as above.

The print from Mac (and Framemaker Mac for ex.) to Windows NT Server with Mac
support as to Net Print Server required PS Level 1 too in some causes.

Resume.
Until the PS standard war between Adobe and printer developers not finished now
the dropping of PS Level 1 is very bad step for any users [of
FrameMaker].
Negative experience of InDesign shows it well.

Now a lot of famous printer developers declare that "we make splendid PS Level 3
emulation". I am very skeptical for possibility of normal third-party "PS Level 3
emulation". Therefore we (end-users) do need Level 1 support too at
least.

Adobe's step for dropping PS Level 1 inside new Adobe's PS drivers is
VERY BAD step.
Adobe's step for dropping PS Level 1 inside new Adobe's applications is
VERY BAD step.

If Adobe heeds I can forward a lot of my customers
claims about this.

A lot of expansive old RIP has PS Level 1 too since it works well.

Best regards,

Dmitri Iounov
yudmi@star.spb.ru

Support/consulting for multilingual computing
Multilingual font technology--

STAR-Russia Tech. Support Team.