RE: Postscript Level 1 requirements

Lee,

> We're trying to figure out if we can drop direct support for ps
> level 1 in FrameMaker. Let me know if you think this is a big deal.

This is not a big issue for us, but there are two PS-related issues which we
care a lot about.

PS output from Windows. As I understand it, FM uses the Windows GDI rather
than creating PostScript in-application as Quark Xpress does. Whatever the
reason, we cannot achieve clean PostScript output from Windows for
dense-screen process printing. We must transfer FM binaries to Mac and run
PS from there. This can create other problems, particularly with fonts and
character sets.

Sorting this (and OpenType and Unicode support, while I'm here) would save
us a lot of person-days and error-correction.

Thanks

Mark Barratt
Text Matters
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313