Font substitution--SUMMARY

Last week I posted a request for help with unwanted font substitutions:
Frame said it couldn't find the fonts Helvetica and Times when I opened my
files on another machine (both Windows). The files had no apparent usage of
these fonts, and all fonts actually used were installed on both machines.
When I opened the files, letter spacing and other characteristics were
incorrect.

My problem went away when I installed a new default printer. Several people
wrote with various sources of font substitution problems, which I'd like to
reprint here:

PRINTER SETTINGS
> I don't have an answer for you, but maybe it has something to do with
> the fact that Helvetica and Times are the standard Postscript
> substitutes for the Truetype Times New Roman and Arial. Were the files
> originally created for a Postscript printer or do you maybe have a
> Postscript printer connected, which is sent to download Type 1 fonts
> only?
>
>Dominic Hurley
>mailto:dominic@paradise.net.nz

CONFLICT BETWEEN TRUE TYPE vs. TYPE 1 FONTS
> Do you have TTF fonts or Type 1 fonts installed?
> TTF fonts are shown in blue TT sign in Win ControlPanel/Fonts whereas
> Type1 fonts are shown with red stylish a icon.
> Guess that TTF Times New Roman is not same as Times New Roman Type 1
> font used in your FM documents as FM usually uses Type 1.
>
> Maksym Volkov
> mailto:M.Volkov@telesens.com.ua

"INVISIBLE" FONT USAGE
> One common problem I recall from the Old FrameMaker days
> (when I worked for Frame Technology) was that you could copy
> and paste a table from a document that uses fonts or
> languages your target machine doesn't support.   So you go
> ahead and change all the pgf formats in the table, and even
> save the changes to the table format catalog and the pgf
> format catalog.  But you still get the unsupported
> font/language message.
>
> The reason is that Maker stores an actual table for each
> table format.  Each table format includes the pgf formatting
> of each cell...  But somehow, when you change the pgf
> formatting for a table format and update the table format,
> you don't wipe out the old one, you just create a new one.
> So the unwanted font/language lingers.  A bug?  Mayber...
> it seems sloppy at best.  And the unfortunate thing is,
> there's no U/I to get rid of these fonts/languages.  Even
> turning off "Remember Missing Font Names", opening, then
> saving won't do it.
>
> There is a fix.  Anyway, whether this is your problem or
> not, you stand to gain by doing the following:
>
> Save the document to MIF, then search for the font.  If it's
> in a table, then the above describes your problem.  If not,
> then annalyze what you have...  You should find a reasonable
> way to wipe out any reference to that font - even if you
> have to do it in MIF.
>
> At Frame Technologies (and later, Adobe) we propegated this
> problem often enough to warrant creating tools to eradicate
> it.  If this is a nonce - only problem for you, then you
> probably just need to muck through the MIF.  If it happens
> alot, you should try developing either a MIF script, a
> FrameScript, or an FDK client to manage this issue.
>
>Chris Despopoulos
>mailto:cud@arrakis.es

LIMITED SYSTEM RESOURCES/TOO MANY FONTS/FONT TYPE CONFLICTS
> I've recently had some weird font problems like this show up. In my
> case, I created the documents and they had previously used the fonts,
> so it might not be the same as your problem. I suspect that I nearing
> the end of my system resources (too many applications open). I
> rebooted, and Frame could "see" the fonts again.
>
> Other solutions to font problems have been:
> * Make sure you don't have too many fonts. I don't remember the
> limitations (maybe 200? or depends on system resources), but  Windows
> will ignore random fonts when the font count gets too high.
> * I had conflicts between TrueType and Postscript fonts of the same
> name (Wingdings, in particular). This mostly showed up in PDF
> generation though. (Just delete one of the fonts to solve the
> problem.)
>
>Barb
>mailto:caslonsvcs@ibm.net

Thanks to all who responded.