?? Index multi-line pg num lists w/right alignment not working

[Copies to Frank Stearns & Steve Kubis for their input -- and potential
product development?]

Framers,

Problem: Index multi-line page number lists using leadered right-align
tab alignment not working.

Platform:  FM 556 Win95 (and have IXGen 5.5e)

We have a large index with many entries having 5 to 25 page numbers
listed. The index will be regenerated fairly frequently, thus manual
tweaking is not realistic. We strongly do NOT like the "FrameMaker
style" that does not use leadered, right justified alignment.

The problem is that the layout & alignment of the page numbers is
"screwy" in the MULTI-LINE lists of page numbers.  (Everything is
perfectly okay when it will all fit on a single line.)

Per FM manual we have set up a right-aligned, leadered, tab stop in the
IndexIX, Level1IX, etc., paragraph tags.

We have put a tab character in front of the <$pagenum>, thus looks
like   "TAB"<$pagenum>  (the "TAB" is a tab character).

Justification is set to Left.

Indent is first line 0, left .5

EXAMPLES OF THE PROBLEMS (these seem to vary as a result of the quantity
of the content).  I have used a single digit to represent each page
number (they are usually multi-digit.

NOTICE "...." in the middle of the list of numbers.

   Subject text  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
      9, 0....1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
      1, 2, 3, .....4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0

NOTICE "...." filling most of second line.  Is this the "desired"
behavior?

   Subject text  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
       ...............................9

NOTICE "...." filling ALL of the second line and final number coming out
on left end of third line.

   Subject text  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
       9

NOTICE "...." filling virtually all of second line, splitting the
numbers, one at each end.

   Subject text  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
       9..............................3

Please help.  This is driving us nuts (-er)!

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com