Re: Foreign language indices

At 05:29 PM 10/30/99 +0100, Ann Farr wrote:
>Please could anyone advise me if there is a simple way to set up an index
>in a foreign language? I'm a freelance DTPer and sometimes dtp manuals for
>companies who've had theirs translated. So I get a Frame file/book in
>English and replace the English text with French, Italian etc., ToC, xrefs
>etc.
>
>So far I haven't had any indices to do (other than setting up and
>generating an English one) in the foreign languages. All I can think of is
>to get the translators to translate the English index into their language
>but to keep the page numbers. The translators just send text files. Then,
>with the text file as a crib, I would have to go through each manual and
>mark up the words for the index in the usual way. Always trusting, of
>course, that the translated words don't stray too far from the original
>(English) page...
>
>Is that how you experts would do it? Have I missed something?
>I'd be most grateful for your help and thank you for listening.
If the translators are working in FrameMaker, why not have them use
Find/Replace to search for each index marker, with the Marker dialog open.
Then, in the marker dialog, they edit the marker text.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646