Re: Xref overwriting. Does this make design sense?

Jay Smith wrote:

>... Most pages of most of the documents use
>two items of information [...] that comes from
>the "front matter" document of EACH book.  These two bits of info are
>paragraph tag content <paratext> Xrefs. [...]
>
>The problem is: If you import formats from the master to any of the
>various documents, the Xrefs "break" [...]
>
>One could use variables, however, I think you would have the same
>problem because you would be referencing external variables (if you can
>even do that). The whole point is to set the value once, in one place,
>and to not have to worry about it.

We use variables here for this purpose. Like you docs, we use the
"front matter" document as a master, then use Import -> Formats to
import the variables into the book (which imports all the variables
into the files of that book).

I keep a separate file containing variables that reference other
documents. When the document numbers come out for the newest release,
I update that file then import it into each book. It doesn't get much
easier than that. :-)

To recap: we maintain variables unique to a book in the Front Matter
document, then import the variables to the book. We maintain variables
common to the whole suite in a separate document, also imported to each
book.

	Larry