RE: weird to frame and back again

c.brown (Colin?  I mislaid the original message) wrote:

		> I need to build a template in frame to
		> convince them, but they want it to look exactly like their
weird template,
		> which means all headers have a grey fill that extends
totally across the
		> page behind the text. Did I describe it accurately?
		>
		> If not you could look at my website (which isn't half
done) at

The PDF file of the Word document he (she?) sent had main headings with a
grey tint behind them extending from margin to margin.

Oh, dear, I feel a request for enhancement coming on.  FrameMaker can put a
graphic above and below a paragraph.  Why not add the capability to put a
graphic to the left or right, or even _behind_ the paragraph?

Some solutions:

@	Created an anchored frame containing your tint and set to go to the
back, and paste it at the start of every heading requiring a background
tint.  This need not be such a pain.  There's a handy little AutoText
utility you can get for Mac, Winduhs, and EUNUX which lets you do this sort
of thing with a keystroke.  See http://www.kagi.com/spsoftware/ or write to
mailto:SPSoftware@kagi.com.

@	Create a one-celled table to hold your heading and set up a suitable
tint for the cell.

Warning: when FM compiles and index, it scans through the body flow first
and then backtracks through table cells (each is a little flow of its own).
Result: all your chapter headings are neatly listed at the end of the ToC,
after your section and subsection headings.

You can get around this by creating a weensy para tag with the type colour
set to white which echoes the visible heading and which is actually used to
compile the ToC.  I'll let your imagination come up with all the messy
maintenance and synchronization issues THAT approach involves.  While you
are writing and editing you can set the weensy para to a visible colour,
unless your pages have black backgrounds.

@	If the heading is a chapter title and always appears at the same
position on the page, you can put a tint rectangle on a special ChapterTitle
page and apply it when necessary.

Roo guards,
Hedley

Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd
StarHUB NMOSS Project
Level 34.42   Melbourne Central Tower
360 Elizabeth Street   Melbourne VIC 3000   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9301 6214   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9301 6199
Email. hedley.finger@ericsson.com.au

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd
28 Regent Street   Burwood VIC 3125   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9809 1326
Email. hfinger@handholding.com.au