Re: How to size imported graphics?

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:40:28 -0400, William Swallow <WSWALLOW@commsoft.net>
wrote:

>Now, before I get slammed for this, hear me out. Screens emulate images at
>72 dpi. Whether you print them out at 72dpi, 300dpi or 1200dpi you are still
>printing a 72dpi image; at 1200dpi you're just using a hell of a lot more
>dots to print each captured dot.

Quite right... on the Mac.  ;-)  But not on Windows, which has a different
magic number, 96 dpi (4/3 of the Mac value).  This error is in fact the
root of the "bug" with FrameMaker's exported GIFs.  Someone at Adobe also
thought Windows uses 72 dpi, so that's what the GIFs are set at.  Since
all the Windows screen fonts are designed for 96 dpi, you get unreadable
type as sizes below 12pt.  You also get images that are 75% of the size
they should be, "shrunken".  Don't fall into this pit!  Use 96 dpi for
Windows screen display.  You can use the larger res of 300 or 1200 if
you need to print from the result (and it was originally at that res),
because the display drivers can reduce that to 96 dpi acceptably.

With our mif2go HTML export, BTW, you can select the DPI you want to
use for the graphic images.  However, we have removed GIF support as
a result of Unisys new policy, as explained at:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/htmlpro.htm

We strongly recommend that regardless of what product you use for Web
pages, you change from GIF to JPEG, which is universally supported,
and just as good for almost all images.  (Very tiny type may be a
problem due to the built-in antialiasing.)  You are exposing your
company to potentially major costs if you do not.  If you feel you
must use GIF, at least have a patent attorney review your software
vendor's contract with Unisys (if the vendor will release it) and your
Web usage, as Unisys has been less than forthright about their plans.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/