RE: Dynatext

<<I just saw a dynatext file that comprised several books. Wondering if
anyone here has any experience with it and any opinions on the product.

I'm currently using WWP to produce HTML Help files and also producing
PDF.>>

I went to a demonstration of the product in, um, 1994, I think, when my
then-boss and I were evaluating all available methods of putting docs and
legacy docs online. It was main-frame-ish based and I believe the company
that makes it has been bought or absorbed or discontinued future development
but don't quote me. In 1994, it was way too expensive and major to buy and
implement. (We upgraded the Frame files to 5.0  to enable auto-bookmarks
when we distilled to PDF, and built an HTML catalog page to list and link
everything, and made management very happy.)

I've recently seen one major company's documentation sub-chunk of web site,
and they have Dynatext implemented and legacy docs available in it, but it
appears to be a legacy method of getting e-text and not the wave of the
future, at least at that firm.

I recommend you do a web search and see what the current status and
availability of Dynatext is before you get excited. It was a really high-end
and slick solution in its day, but cost-prohibitive for most firms as soon
as the web took off.

Deborah Snavely
opinions are only mine and have no basis in anything other than my hole-y
memory