Re: Exporting as a wmf

You could try looking this up, I don't know that much about CAD programs, but the symptoms
sound similar.

In many drawing programs there is an option called Hairline for line thickness (and in some
programs it is set as the default). If you select this line it is set at the thickness of one pixel, which
on screen looks fine and when it is printed out from its native program -- which takes this
thickness into account in the printing process -- the results are dandy. Where the problem arises
is in other formats or programs the default is not recognised, and the line thickness of one pixel is
taken as an absolute measurement.

Now if you then print this file out from, say, Frame to your DeskJet then the file will determine the
print results according the content specifications. In other words the line is translated from one
pixel to one dot on the printer (being an absolute measurement) and so becomes thin. Now to
exacerbate this further, when you print to a higher resolution laser printer the line will get
progressively thinner as the resolution increases. To the point where, on an image setter at 2400
dpi, the line becomes virtually invisible to the naked eye.

To get around the problem set the line thickness to a defined thickness (which would become a
relative thickness, meaning the lines' thickness increase/decrease if the image is scaled
up/down), such as 0.5 point to 0.25 point -- 1.0 point is very thick and chunky.

Alan

On 23 Aug 99, at 22:54, Korth wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0055_01BEEDBA.85508820
>
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping that someone can help me.  We have some rather lengthly =
> manuals.  All images are drawn in AutoCad and exported as a wmf.  I =
> import them into Framemaker by reference so whenever the drawing is =
> changed the manual page is updated automatically.  The problem is that =
> when you export you lose the line thickness.  It looks great printed out =
> of AutoCad, but prints much lighter in Frame.  My printer is a HP1600C =
> Deskjet.  Our Marketing manager is telling me that we need a QMS =
> Postscript Printer.  I have a postscript driver loaded on my printer =
> already.  I changed the text in AutoCad Lt 98 to Arial and that looks =
> pretty good but the drawing is still light.  Any suggestions?

Alan T Litchfield
ALPHABYTE
PO Box 1941  Auckland   New Zealand
phone +64-9-846-4188