Re: SUMMARY: PDF problems on multiple platforms

Thomas Michanek wrote:

> A month ago, I asked the following questions.
> This summary is late, but better late than...

 Thanks to Thomas for this terrific summary. There are so many variables
and so little time that I am extremely grateful to him for taking the
time out to do it.

And while I still say that Adobe prefers eps to go into Distiller --
funny about that, why should it be :-) -- eps screen grabs in UNIX are
not helped by the primative, archaic versions of Photoshop & Illustrator
available for it, or the inconsistencies of the likes of xv. For
example, Photoshop 3.5 for UNIX (how long ago was THAT new?) doesn't do
any compression of eps files. I kid you not! The rest of the world has
moved on.

I still maintain that compression is your friend and that not to use it
for Acrobat images is --- well, compassion holds my tongue. Watch your
downsampling (set it at 150 dpi) and may you always be protected from
the evil spirit of the Windows Acro Fuzzies.

Happy pdf-ing one and all.

--
             _   _        Michael Richards
            ( \ / )       Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
             |   (        Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
             [___]        Intelligent Network Platforms,
             |oo |        Telstra Corporation, Australia
           ,' \  |
          <___/  |
             |   |
             |   |     Still defiantly Chicken!!!!