Re: Bulleted Step, yes and no

Douglas Wade wanted to know how to implement the case where, if a note
contains a single paragraph it is unbulleted, but if the note contains
multiple paragraphs, all paragraphs are bulleted. Laurence Burrows, in his
response, also suggested the inclusion of separator lines above and below
the note text.

Shown below is an improved implementation that creates either numbered or
bulleted note paragraphs when there is more than one note paragraph, inserts
a separator line above and below the note text, and adds space below to the
last note paragraph to provide additional space between it and the ending
separator line:

Element (Container): Note
	General Rule: Separator, Note_Body, Separator
Attribute List:
                1. Name: ListType        Choice          Optional
                   Choices: Bullets,Steps
                   Default: Bullets

Element (Container): Note_Body
	General Rule: Note_Text+

Element (Container): Note_Text
        	General Rule: <TEXT>
	Text Format Rules
		Element paragraph format:NotePlain
		1. If context is: { only }
			No additional formatting
		    Else, if context is: * < Note[ListType = "Bullet"]
			Use Format Change List: Bullet
                    Else, if context is: * < Note[ListType = "Steps"]
                        1.1 If context is: { first }
                                Use Format Change List: Step1
                            Else
                                Use Format Change List: Step
		2. If context is { last )
			Use Format Change List:XtraSpaceBelow

Element (Container): Separator
	General Rule: <EMPTY>
	Text Format Rules
		Element paragraph format:Separator
Where:
	Paragraph format NotePlain defines a note paragraph with no
	bullet, a Space Above of 3.0 pt,  a Space Below of 0.0 pt.,
	and First and Left indents of 0.0"
		Format Change List Bullet modifies the format of NotePlain
		to add:
			\b\t to the autonumbering format specification.
			A tab stop at 0.25"
			Changes the Left indent from 0.0" to 0.25"

                Format Change List Step 1 modifies the format of NotePlain
                to add:
                        S:<n=1>\t to the autonumbering format specification
                        A tab stop at 0.25"
                        Changes the Left Indent from 0.0" to 0.25"

                Format Change List Step modifies the format of NotePlain
                to add:
                        S:<n+>\t to the autonumbering format specification
                        A tab stop at 0.25"
                        Changes the Left Indent from 0.0" to 0.25"

		Format Change List XtraSpace Below modifies the format
		of NotePlain to add:
			3.0 pts to the Space Belowe,  so as to provide space
			that separates the last NotePlain paragraph from the
			Separator that  follows it.

	Paragraph format Separator defines an empty paragraph with a
	Frame Above containing a line from a reference page frame.

Note that:

1. Attribute ListType in the Note container determines whether bullets or
numbered steps are created when there is more than one note paragraph.

2. Creation of the Note_Body container for the note text allows the sibling
relationships { only } and { first } to be used, which is the critical
requirement for determining whether or not bullets or steps are to be
created, and, in the case of steps, to determine which paragraph has the
starting number of 1.

3. Use of the sibling indicator { only } deals with the case where there is
a single note paragraph, which is neither bulleted or numbered. In this
case, not additional formatting of the NotePlain paragraph is needed

4. If there is more than one note paragraph, the { only } test fails, and
the format change lists for creating bullets or steps (as determined by the
ListType attribute are used on all note paragraphs.

5. Use of the sibling indicator { last } is used to determine which note
paragraph uses format change list  XtraSpaceBelow (if there is only one note
paragraph, this format change list is applied to that note paragraph, since
it is the last (as well as the only) sibling).

     | Nullius in Verba |