RE: losing colour in Acrobat

Geez Michael did I offend or alarm you :-)

Although I agree with most if not all of the specs you outlined, I can still
tell you that I find the need to do two versions of documents with
exchangeable graphics.  One to send to my commercial printer which contains
duotone eps graphics (these graphics were created solely in Photoshop).
When using the Adobe 4.2 driver with a scitex dolev ppd (with dov's changes)
I can generate postscript and it spearates correctly.  If I then try to
distill the same file with this driver setup or my distiller driver setup
any page that contains this type graphic bombs out.  If I replace the
graphic with the same but converted to cmyk color it works fine in
distiller.  I need a very clean PDF for on-line documents which are embedded
in my help system.

If I have a tiff file that is anything but cmyk color it will distill as
Black and white.  Yes, I am using the right drivers etc.  I have heard of
many, many other people with similar problems.  This works for many of us.
So, theoretically other solutions should work, but practically I can rely on
this method.

All i can really conclude here is that the way you have to handle a
particular graphic can depend on where and how the graphic is created and
what format it is.  A good first try for problematic graphics is to make
them cmyk.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Debbi