Weird xref behavior

FrameMaker 5.1.2 on Windows NT, 128 M memory

The trailing colon has suddenly started showing up in _some_ of
my xrefs, so I get effects like this: "see Table 2-3: for a complete
list of whatsits" instead of "see Table 2-3 for...".  All xrefs
that are format Table Number now appear this way (though they didn't a
few days ago!), yet all xrefs that are format Figure Number appear
without the trailing colon.

Here are the xref formats in question, in the same doc:

Figure Number -   <Link>Figure <$paranumonly><Default P Font>
Table Number -    <Link>Table <$paranumonly><Default P Font>

Has anyone else seen this happen?  If so, how do I make it unhappen?
--
Carolyn Stallard
Documentation Manager