RE: OT: Orphans and Widows (which is which)

There are actually two differing pairs of definitions that I'm aware
of.  One pair of definitions defines the terms as relating to lines
of text (those are the definitions I first learned, and which seem
to be the ones that Frame's implementation uses), and one that
refers more to words rather than lines. Your recollection seems
to combine one from column A and one from column B...

The glossary at
http://www.designtalkboard.com/glossary/fonts/typography.php
says this:
- A widow occurs when the last line of a paragraph from the
- An orphan occurs when the first line of a new paragraph starts
 at bottom of a page.

But at
http://www.writedesignonline.com/resources/design/rules/type.html
you'll find the following:
- Don't leave orphans! (a word or short line at the top of a column
 or page).
- Avoid widows! (a single word on a line by itself at the end of a
 paragraph with no one to love).
- Never hyphenate a widow. For that matter, never hyphenate
 an orphaned widow! (typographic counseling is recommended
 for individuals with this problem)

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ