Is structure what I need?

Hi, all --

Need some general guidance on the use of structure.

We have a product whose manual set includes several
separate documents. However, this product will soon be going
to different sets of customers who will use it in different
ways. For one set of customers, we'll need to supply the entire
set of manuals. For another set of customers, we'll need to supply
just one of the manuals.

The information in the one book that will apply to both sets of
customers will mostly be the same. However:

when shipped to the one-book group, this book cannot reference
the other books

when shipped to the one-book group, this book may need to contain
some small amounts of information from the other books

when shipped to the one-book group, this book may contain
information about features that do not apply to the many-book group

within both groups, there will be subgroups of customers who
 will not have access to all the features described in that one book.
 We'd prefer they don't see information about features they can't
  use.

What I would really like to have is some way to develop the information
for this one book (and maybe eventually for all of the books) in a
topic-type format that would allow me to somehow generate the right
collection of information for each audience that will receive the book.
I'll want to publish in both HTML and PDF formats; currently, I use
WebWorks for the HTML conversion.

In the back of my mind I had begun to think that moving to structure
would be a way to automate the creation of these multiple versions. (All
the documents are currently in FrameMaker 7, unstructured). But I
can't figure out all the tools that are needed to achieve that kind of
workflow. And I wonder if simply using conditional text might also
do the trick.

Could someone out there give me a high-level overview of the tools
I might need to achieve this kind of workflow?

TIA --

PS: I've been trying to post this question to the FrameUsers list as
    well, but have run into a Catch 22: it doesn't like messages from
    my work e-mail, since our mail server adds one of those privacy
    attachments. I've tried registering under this address, but the
    list manager keeps telling me I'm *not* registered. Sigh. If some
    kind soul would post this to FrameUsers for me, I'd appreciate it.