Frame 7 and DocBook

This is such a stupid question but I need a confirmation that I'm not totally out of my mind--or maybe I am.

I've got a structured document. Structured according to a certain style that we use. I want to create a DTD for the authors. I'm being told that I can't do this because --

"DocBook defines the structure. It says there must be a body, and headers, and sections, and chapters, etc. and they all must be done in a certain way. It defines the relationships between entities and what data can go where."

So, there's no alternative to their structure?

Dottie M.