Re: Are character tags picked up in xrefs?

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:03:27 -0300, "fci_furia" <fci@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>As Jeremy said, the trick is to use a font with another name but you
>cannot change only the name of the font in Explorer. It's necessary to
>change the internal name of the font.

Actually, most fonts already exist on your system with names like
Arial Italic, Arial Bold, etc.  You just need to change the name
in *Frame*, not the name of the font file; that's already correct.

>Open the font file with a font designer program (Fontographer,
>FontLab, etc.), change the internal name and then save it.

But then you'd also have to redesign it.  ;-)

OK, I should have tested; then I'd have remembered that Frame
restricts you to font names on its list, preventing you from
adding your own.  So you have to convince Frame to put the font
you want on the list.  Here's how.

Close Frame if it's open, and open maker.ini in your Frame
directory (*not* the one in Documents and Settings!) in a
text editor.  Notepad will do.  (If you have FM+SGML 6, the
file is called fmsgml.ini instead.)

Find the section [WindowsToFrameFontAliases].  It begins with
lengthy comments.  Pass by them, down to where it has:

Courier, Italic, *=Courier, Oblique, *, Regular

and add your new lines before that one.  (That makes it easy to
find them later.)  Suppose you want to add Arial Italic:

Arial, Italic, Regular=Arial Italic, Italic, Regular, Regular

This makes a font "Arial Italic" which is selectable on Frame's
font lists.  It is always italic, never bold, and only normal
(not Narrow, for example).  And when you use it in xref source
text, in a char format, the text you apply it to will be in
Arial Italic at the reference... even if the rest of the para
(including the rest of the xref) is in Times.

For Arial Bold:

Arial, Regular, Bold=Arial Bold, Regular, Bold, Regular

And Arial Bold Italic:

Arial, Italic, Bold=Arial Bold Italic, Italic, Bold, Regular

Save the maker.ini, and try out your "new" fonts.  ;-)

  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/