Frame graphic element weirdness: FM 7.1 bug or Acrobat 7 bug?

Ananda,

You wrote:

> I use Frame graphics tools to circle GUI elements. I didn't want to do
> these, but the users love it (and after you get used to it, it's quick to do).

> What happens is that long ovals (rounded-corner rectangles) get their
> sides ... warped. They look like you'd drawn them with a wide-nib pen,
> and you'd changed the nib angle halfway down the side.
> The long side of the oval starts at 3 points thick, narrows down to maybe
> 1 point thick, and widens up to 5 points thick before turning the corner.
> The bottom long side of the oval goes from 3 (briefly) to 5 to 1 before
> getting back to 3 at the corner.

> I did not get this problem with Frame 7.0 and Acrobat 5. ...

The problem is related to a new setting in Acrobat Distiller 7,
intended to reduce the file size of PDFs created from CAD drawings.
The impact of this setting on FrameMaker's rounded rectangles is
surely not what its developers had in mind...

Edit your Distiller 7.0 job options, and in the Advanced tab turn off
the "Convert smooth lines to curves". (It is turned on by default in
the "Standard" and "Smallest file size" options).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars