RE: Dov's help, Shooting the messenger, Fruitless posts

I'm Sorry to see anyone from Adobe discontinue their participation in a
FrameMaker newsgroup or mailing list. It seems when the subject of FrameMaker on
Linux was breached, Dov had had enough.

Free software on desktop Linux is pretty good, for free, and it's not easy to
beat free. It may be that Linux users expect a lot, and it may be that they
expect it mostly for free, which, of course, would be a source of some trouble
for any plan Adobe might devise to market FrameMaker for Linux.

I think FrameMaker is great. It's especially nice to bring XML into FrameMaker
and take advantage of FrameMaker's wonderful formatting capabilities. FrameMaker
is my choice for unstructured documents.

As for speculation about FrameMaker's future, I am reminded of the remark made
famous by the ex-CEO of Intel (Andy Grove?), something about the paranoid being
the only ones who survive. I think he was talking about the information
technology business. Another thing he said, something about the value of
intellectual property, was that the value of whatever can be digitized will go
down.

It is good to talk about the future of FrameMaker. People have reason to be
concerned and do not warrant scolding for doing so. This mailing list seems like
it would be an appropriate place to talk about FrameMaker, it's future, and
pretty much all FrameMaker issues, no?

Things can change, but for now there are strong reasons to believe that
FrameMaker is not being actively, vigorously developed. FrameMaker is good for
what it does now (unstructured), and it's my best choice for PostScript/PDF
composition of imported XML. I would like to see some of what I found to be its
difficulties with structured documents resolved, but I don't expect that anytime
soon. If interested, you can read my notes and a description of some of the
difficulties I encountered with structured FrameMaker (direct link) at:
http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat/DocBook/Frame_Project_Readme.html

Or you can go to http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat/ and follow the DocBook link on
the left to download the entire structured application.

Steve Whitlatch