RE: FrameMaker's Future

Paul,

You wrote:

... I went and clipped your comments:
> Arbortext's Technical Support Guide (26-page PDF), "created
> and published using Arbortext Software", has a Contents
> page with 32 entries which use 226 links -- that's an
> average of 7 links per entry.

Multiple links per entry is probably the rule given how Epic creates links. Whether 7 is truly an average multiplier or not is hard to say. I'd be willing to run some numbers against our documents if you teach me how to highlight/count the links.

To highlight the links, open the PDF in Acrobat and activate the Link tool (link rectangles are displayed).

To count the links, I use the Link Checker plug-in. My comment is related to TOC pages; I saw a similar problem with indexes. To check the number of links in such pages, the pages can be extracted first into a separate, temporary PDF.

... Note: It's been a while and a few versions since I worked with FrameMaker (5.5.6) so I may not understand current functionality in this regard. Many PDF advances were incorporated after I left.

In my opinion, the FM->PDF core set of properties is pretty much the same as in FM5.5 (after facts are sorted from hype & fiction). Nevertheless, and despite some limitations, I think that FrameMaker is still the best choice for authoring interactive PDFs.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars