Re: ghost character inserted during MSWord import

> I have just finished to convert a book from FM7.0 to XML and I
> discovered that the xml is littered with unicode FFFD characters (which
> does not exist and therefore results in garbage) at the end of almost
> every para.
>
> Upon inspection of the various files used during the production of the
> book I discovered that they appeared during the import from MSWord2000
> into FM...

I've seen it too. It also happens when you copy & paste out of Word
into Frame. They aren't visible in the display, but if you put the
cursor to the right of the garbage character & hit Delete, it goes away.

The most effective way of avoiding the problem is to bring in the Word
file as plain text -- if the person who wrote the document isn't very
disciplined about using styles, it's likely that you would have to
reformat the document anyway before adding structure to the Frame file.

There's also a wildcard search/replace sequence that seems to catch
most of those characters, I figured it out once but I can't remember
what it was. :-P

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives