Adobe Illustrator images get gnarled when frame makes pdf

I have import by reference Illustrator files the contain both vector and
raster portions. Using "Save As > .pdf" the graphics get chunked up in a
flattening type operation. I grabbed the .ps file to see if it was in
the distilling the .ps to .pdf phase and the problem had already shown
up. So I'm guessing that the problem is in the .fm to .ps phase... Any
Ideas besides converting all to .gif?

FM 7.1b023
Illustrator 10
Distiller 6.01