Follow-up to Re: Tabs in para tags in table cells?

At 09:42 PM 9/29/04, Allen Schaaf wrote:
At 12:12 AM 9/29/04, Thomas Michanek wrote:
Every time I try to tab it takes me to the next cell. I can't find anything in the TFD-N! that covers this nor can I find it mentioned anywhere in any of the archives I've checked.

Esc Tab enters a tab character in a table cell.

See the Online Help, Quick Reference, Tables, Tab characters in cells.

Thanks gang.

A senior moment I guess and the stress of having the server that I work off of lose the directory for my entire business unit for 24 hours...

I hunted for it by "tabs in table cells." No go.

I guess I just don't think like they do. That's why good indexes are so valuable - "see also" refs. I live and die, mostly die, by them.

Found out I wasn't totally crazy when I had problems with this today, yet again.

Little quirk that I had missed. The para tag had two tabs set (merged cell usage) and I got the same error of tabbing into the next cell even doing it right. Just driving me nuts and yet it was right there in plain sight. The two tabs are a left and a right align.

Beat my head against the four foot thick wall that is supposedly nuke proof as long as it does not drop directly on the roof.

Then I noticed that the length of the word that I was tabbing after was probably 0.001" longer than the tab position, maybe not even that, so the tab symbol showed at what looked the right place but it shoved the whole line over just enough that the right tab at the end of the line was being overshot, taking me into the next cell!

I literally added 0.001" to the first tab and then the right tab worked correctly. Picky, picky, picky....

Best,

Allen