FM6: Imported PDF grayed out only when rotated 90 degrees

I imported-by-copy 4 PDFs into an anchored frame.  The PDFs were
distilled from PS, and they represent line art rather than rasterized
images.  They are data plots with not too much information on them
(compared to others which were successfully imported by copy).  The
PDF facets are visible in the object properties.  However, the PDFs
were grayed out when viewed on one computer, but not grayed out when
viewed on another.  All my googling pointed to insufficient memory.
So I tried increasing the virtual memory so that the computer with
the problem matches the one that worked.  No luck. Some other postings
suggested insufficient video RAM.  So I gave up.  However, when I
rotated the grouped PDFs so that they were not "landscaped", they
suddenly stopped being grayed out.  I slapped my head, because I was
troubleshooting the day away in the face of a looming deadline.

What can this be attributed to (the graying out, not my self-abuse)?

Fred

P.S.  I realize that some people strongly advocate importing-by-
reference.  I agree with the ostensible advantages, though I have
my reasons for not doing so.  I'm inquiring more about the odd
combination of circumstances that lead to graying out.

P.P.S.  Sent to comp.text.frame, framers@xxxxxxxxx, and
adobe.framemaker.