Re: Save as PDF does not work for large paper size

Dov Isaacs wrote:
Set the defaults for the "Adobe PDF" PostScript printer driver instance
to 300 dpi and the blank page problem should go away. Let us know
if this solves your problem.

- Dov

now, this is interesting. The solution is a combination of all suggestions so far (Mary, Larry and Dov).

These are my findings:

1) Creating pdf by doing a "print into file"

When I create a pdf by printing into a PostScript file with the "Adobe pdf" printer selected, the document converts just fine if I changed the defaults for the "Adobe PDF" PostScript driver to 300 dpi beforehand (as Larry and Dov suggested).

2) Creating pdf by doing a "Save as... pdf"

This creates the infamous 1 x 1 mm pdf document, even with the 300 dpi setting for the "Adobe PDF" PostScript driver. But there is a solution: first go to "Print settings", select "Adobe PDF" as printer and set the paper size to the appropriate size (A0) (as Mary suggested). Then quit the dialog. Go to "Save as..." and save the file as pdf. Now it works. But: this is complicated for the user.

What I still do not understand (and I consider it a bug): The "Save as" dialog shows the correct paper size (84 x 118 cm) and I suppose it uses the "Adobe PDF" driver for converting. Why do I have to change the printer first and set the paper size in two places? This seems to me as if FrameMaker either does not use "Adobe PDF" when converting a file with the "save as..." dialog or does ignore the paper size settings (at least if it becomes larger than A2). What do you think, Dov?

3) Another "solution" that works but breaks other things:

Install a new Postscript Printer with Adobe PS Driver using the PPD file of Acrobat 4 (adist4.ppd). Delete the Postscript Printer "Adobe PDF". Rename the newly installed driver "Adobe PDF". Now "Save as..." does what you expect. Unfortunately, if you doubleclick on a "ps" file later to send it to Distiller, an installation wizard appears that as a first step deletes your new "Adobe PDF" driver before asking any questions. Strange that the bug with large paper sizes appeared after Acrobat 4 and has stayed ever since. Has nobody else run into this before?

Anyway, thank you all for your valuable help. I think I can sell one of the solutions to my customer.

Greetings,
Fridolin.