RE: question about chapter number variable

Linda,

No, it certainly is not the expected behavior.  I am assuming that when
you say "the minute I make the numbering consistent with the one above,
it moves to the top of the column" you mean that it moves to the top of
the original column, and not to the top of another (e.g. the following)
column.

FM explicitly ignores the Basic property of "Space Above" for the first
paragraph in a column (or table cell) and "Space Below" for the last
paragraph in the column/cell.

The ChapNum variable has nothing to do with the spacing.  If the
behavior is exactly as you describe - setting the numbering moves the
paragraph to the top of the column - either you have found an extremely
obscure bug, or there is something else going on but we can decide
without a lot more information and perhaps a sample file to examine.  My
money is on the latter case, as I have NEVER seen an instance where
modifying the numbering properties alters the spacing as you describe.

If the goal is to have the Chapter numbering paragraph be first on the
page and have space above, the only way to handle this in FM is to
define a named, empty frame on the Reference page (width is not
important, but the height is - make in 1.5" in your case) and use the
Advanced properties of the paragraph designer to have associate that as
the "Frame Above" for the paragraph.  You would also set the Pagination
properties to place the ChaptHeading para to Top of Column (or Page, or
RH Page ...) as appropriate.

An alternate approach is to design a custom master page (e.g. "Chapter")
for the start of chapter that has the text frame start 1.5" lower on the
page, and use the feature of FM to link the ChaptHeading paragraph with
that page. ( Format->Page Layout->Apply Master Pages )

I hope this helps.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley               Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
 Information Consultants, Inc.   Phone: 302-239-2942  FAX: 302-239-1712
 Hockessin, DE USA 19707           Web: http://www.infocon.com/