Re: Adobe FrameMaker End-of-Life for Macintosh Platform

>>File this one under "silly conspiracy theory" if you like; I really
>>don't believe this is what's happening myself. ... (blah blah)
>
> File it all the way into "silly conspiracy theory" because not only is
> it way off base, but some of the "facts" you quote are somewhat
> "problematic" at best.

Dang... I *knew* I should have left that "deliberately mishagoss, for
entertainment purposes only" disclaimer in there....

> (1) There is absolutely no correlation between any of the decisions
> associated with FrameMaker on the Macintosh and anything Apple is
> doing or not doing with regards to application programs they are
> developing and marketing.

Thus the "silly" part.

> (For what it is
> worth, one of the goals of the next version of Acrobat is to do
> whatever is possible to cut down dramatically on program startup time
> for both Acrobat and Reader. We had such a program in place for
> InDesign for the last release and the difference is night and day!)

That's very good to hear. On the older kit I have to use, Acro 6
is essentially useless. I'm looking forward to performance improvements.

> (3) Do YOU really know what is underneath "ps2pdf"? You obviously
> don't if you mentioned GhostScript! Because it isn't GhostScript!
> It is Adobe's PDF Normalizer licensed from Adobe. It is a specially
> configured OEM version of Distiller. So in fact, your MacOS X 10.3
> system does INDEED come with very critical Adobe PDF technology
> directly licensed from Adobe. And you are absolutely wrong about
> creating PDF from PostScript under MacOS X 10.3 "without a single
> piece of Adobe software installed." It is preinstalled for you!

Now that's something I'll admit to not knowing. Panther comes with
"ESP Ghostscript 7.05.5" and since "ps2pdf" is the name of a standard
GhostScript utility... well, let's say I put 2 and 2 together and
got 22 this time. :-P

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives